Wow. We can't believe 2010 is coming to a close! The Bicycle Kitchen/La Bicicocina would like to take a moment to wish you the Happiest of Holidays and share some of our accomplishments for this past year.
• We celebrated Five Years of wrenching at Heliotrope and Melrose (Hel-Mel)!
• One of our Cooks, Arlen Jones helped establish a community-driven bike repair space called Bici Digna in downtown Los Angeles operating through LACBC's City of Lights Campaign.
• We formed the County Cycling Collaborative (CCC) with Bike Oven, BikeRoWave, Valley Bikery, C.I.C.L.E. and LACBC. We applied for and were awarded funding through the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health's RENEW Initiative. The CCC will be working together for the next two years under an obesity prevention initiative to do two programs: 1. Creation of a paid “Bike Wrangler” who will work with agencies and institutions to acquire abandoned bicycles and redistribute them to the co-ops and individuals through 2. Public workshops on safe riding and repair skills. One of the goals of the project is to establish other Bicycle Kitchen-type co-ops in new neighborhoods,
• We have taken final steps towards completing an additional bicycle repair education space in partnership with the CRA and Council District 13 at a development above the Metro at Hollywood and Western. Named The Bicycle Kitchen: Wrench&Ride, it will begin construction in early 2011 and will be open by September.
• Not to mention we continued to provide countless open hours at 706 Heliotrope Drive where our volunteer Cooks help folks learn how to repair and maintain bicycles themselves at a suggested donation, never turning anyone away for lack of funds.
If you're as excited and proud of these accomplishments as we are and are looking for a great place to make a year end Tax Donation, consider giving to The Bicycle Kitchen/La Bicicocina. We are a 501c3 nonprofit and can provide a TAX ID letter. You can donate HERE. We also gladly accept bicycles and bike parts donations.
Here's some final workshops, events and holiday closure dates as we wrap up 2010. And, hey, we have some slick new stickers perfect for your head or down tube. Come on in and pick one up in person--they're free!
ECHO PARK HOLIDAY PARADE//
12/10/10 | 10am - 1pm
Ride your bike and join the Bicycle Kitchen as we lead it off. It's become a tradition.
December 18th BASIC WRENCHING. Bring your bike.
Dec 19th - INTRO TO WHEEL BUILDING. Everything you need to know BEFORE you lace your wheel.
Both workshops are from 9:30-11:30am at the Bicycle Kitchen and have 6 slots.
$30 suggested donation. No one turned away for lack of funds. RSVP HERE.
HOLIDAY CLOSURE //
The Bicycle Kitchen will be closed from December 20th - January 2nd.
Regular Open hours resume Monday, January 3rd.
Ride On and Happy New Year!
Your Friendly Neighborhood Cooks.
This Week In Livable Streets - The Metro board meets to consider ending the wrongheaded $6 billion 710 North freeway tunnel project. Plenty of more meetings about Vision Zero in South ...
2 hours ago